Oh no! School is out and it’s time to find fun, healthy snack ideas kids love and really enjoy. I’m sure you’re like me and within the first couple days you will be racking your brain to find the most refreshing snacks and cool beverages that are still healthy, tasty and fun. Oh, and let’s not forget, easy and fast to prepare.
Over the years, I have realized that in order to keep on top of the healthy snack “game,” I need to have fresh fruits and vegetables readily available and lots of ideas in mind or I will cave in and allow them to have the easy “on the go snack” that holds zero nutritional value. In order to help my kids eat healthier snacks this summer I am going to plan and prepare ahead of time. You will need just a few inexpensive popsicle makers and bamboo cooking skewers.
This should be easy, right? Here are some of the ideas I have come up with.
- Frozen Yogurt Covered Strawberry Pops: All kids want to taste the sweet flavor of strawberry during the summer. The frozen yogurt adds to the excitement and cool feeling, which your children will really love. Just place strawberries on a fruit skewer, cover with yogurt on was paper and put in the freezer until ready.
- Green Monster Smoothie: This is such a delicious healthy drink. If your kids resist eating whole fruits and veggies, just throw those uneaten fruits and veggies in a blender and add yogurt, coconut milk or milk to make them creamier and taste yummier. Our favorite is a handful of organic spinach, a banana, handful of fresh or frozen fresh strawberries, a little bit of fresh pineapple, a large scoop of vanilla or plain yogurt and blend away. If necessary add one cup of water and some ice.
- Vegetable Flowers with Homemade Ranch Dip: How about preparing this healthy snack with your kids, as the perfect time to bond with your little ones. You can use carrots, celery, red or green peppers and cucumbers cut into the shape of a tulip, eat the veggies from a toothpick while dipping in homemade ranch dip.
- Roasted Strawberry Parfaits: As we all know, it is not healthy for anyone, especially our kids to eat sugars or especially artificial sugars. This snack is healthier than any processed sweets and the roasted strawberries give this snack a special flavor. Just roast the strawberries in the oven and then place them in a cup with yogurt, honey and granola for added sweetness. I like to make these parfaits up in wine or fluted glasses and layer the yogurt, berries and granola. It looks like a dessert from a “fancy” restaurant-my kids love these.
- Nut Butter-Fly: Play with color, play with art. If you want your child to eat healthy, make it possible with this snack-the presentation is captivating enough to make your kids want to eat these. This simple recipe uses apple wedges, peanut butter and a carrot stick to make a flying food snack. A different variation is to use the smaller pretzel sticks and put cut up cheddar cheese (or any cheese for that matter) on the pretzel stick.
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pretzel Bites: Get that sweet tooth melted away with this delicious snack that all children surely love-this treat is always a hit at my house. You can make this snack right at home without a lot of preservatives or extra sugar. Just place a layer of peanut butter on pretzels, dip in melted chocolate, and then refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Watermelon Pop Stars: Treat your kids with refreshing fresh fruit stars, so they can enjoy the heat of summer and with a snack that could be their all-time favorite. With any shaped cookie cutter, cut thin slices of watermelon, use the cookie cutter to cut out shaped pieces of watermelon (or any type of melon) to place on the fruit skewer. These are simple to make and kids LOVE using the cookie cutter to cut out shaped pieces of fruit.
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers with a Sweet Yogurt Dip: Fill a fruit skewer with some colorful fruit, cantaloup, strawberries, watermelon, mango-be creative with seasonal fresh fruits. They will love to dip their kabobs in a yogurt dip. This snack is an all time favorite, especially easy for summer parties and BBQ’s. You can even make great 4th of July fruit kabobs. If you use bananas in your fruit kabobs, here is a special trick to keep them from turning brown.
- Red, White, and Blue Popsicles: Cut up raspberries, blueberries and banana, combine with juice and pour into popsicle makers or even ice cube trays-add a stick or toothpick and freeze.
These are just a few of the easy and healthy summer snacks you can prepare for your kids. Be creative, use your imagination-with a little bit of planning and preparation, you can make lots of variations of your own tasty snacks from fresh fruit and veggies that the whole family will love.
Please share your great healthy snack ideas with us below, we’d love to hear what your kids gobble up when it comes to healthy and nutritional snacks.