People today are getting more and more health conscious and are realizing that they need to take action to live a longer and healthier life, and nutrition plays a large role in that. But with no time to prepare or cook a delicious and nutritious meal, why not turn to the quickest and easiest meal you can fill your body with – a healthy smoothie! But, how do I start making smoothies? What do I need to make them healthy and tasty too? What are the healthy smoothie basics?
The Perfect Meal Replacement
Whatever reason you have, whether you’re trying to get in shape, lose weight or just saving time from cooking, a healthy smoothie can be a great replacement for a regular meal.
Who would have thought that a simple “mixed” drink could provide you with all the nutrients you need for the day. No need to have the skill or knowledge of a gourmet cook to make your very own healthy smoothie. Just toss some fruit and vegetables into your blender, and add ice or water. In minutes, you have made your healthy meal for the day. It doesn’t take a lot effort but it gives you the same nutrients you can get from cooking a healthy meal.
The real question is really how much of that healthy stuff do you need to put into that blender? And what are the ingredients you really need? It’s really is simple. Here are some basic ingredients that will help you in preparing your no cook smoothie for a healthier you!
What are the healthy smoothie basics?
- Fruit: Many types of fruit are great in smoothies including bananas, berries (strawberries, raspberries blueberries,) oranges, apples, mangoes, pineapple, papaya, cantaloupe and watermelon…just to name a few. You can also use frozen fruit as it is convenient and it is always available year-round. Some of the best taste comes from using a few fresh strawberries and pineapple (a little bit of pineapple juice too,) and use frozen fruit for the remaining fruit ingredients in your smoothie.
- Vegetables: Make sure to use vegetables in your smoothies, they provide many benefits and nutrients. Carrots, beets and celery are all great for smoothies, and can be combined with fruit. For easier blending, you can freeze your leafy vegetables like kale or spinach before blending, and make a healthy green smoothie. Adding herbs, like basil or parsley are always flavorful additions with a lot of cleansing benefits. Click here to read about Cleansing Detox Smoothies.
- Juice or water: It is believed that frozen fruits are easier to blend with juice but you can use water with ice instead if you’re using fresh fruit. You could even give coconut water a try. Using about 1-2 cups should be enough to give your smoothie the right texture.
- Dairy: You can use milk, soy milk, almond milk, or a scoop of yogurt. This will give your smoothie a creamy taste.
- Supplements: Some people want to add supplements to their smoothies. You can add whey, veggie or rice protein, bee pollen, chia powder, flaxseed, herbs or green powder.
There are plenty of smoothie recipes, but embrace your creativity because some of the best smoothies are a combination of what is currently available in your refrigerator. By trying out various combinations you will discover the perfect healthy smoothie for you and your lifestyle, and start enjoying your daily meal from the blender.
We’d love to hear about your creative smoothie recipes and ideas. Do you use frozen or fresh fruit? What do you use for the liquid portion of your smoothie? Have you tried coconut water? If so, did you notice any benefits? As always, thank you for reading.